NEW: This symptom checker now includes the ability to select symptoms by body location. We hope this makes it easier for you to identify your symptoms and possible conditions.
The tool also allows you to select multiple symptoms quickly. Click to see FAQs and tips for searching
1) How many body sections are there?
• There are 11 primary body regions and 41 sub-regions from which you can choose. For example, the arm is a primary region, and your elbow is a more specific sub-region. The ability to choose sub-regions allows you to more precisely specify your symptoms.
2) What should I do if I’m not sure which body area to choose?
• Since all symptoms in a sub-region (example “elbow”) are also listed in the primary body region (example “arm”), it is best to start with the primary body region if you are unsure exactly where the symptom is on your body.
3) What if my symptom isn’t associated with a specific body location (for example, “chills”)?
• If you are not sure what body area your symptom falls under, you can type your symptom in the main search box or select the “General Symptoms” category.
• There is also a separate section for skin symptoms only.
4) What if I don’t see my symptom on the list?
• When a body location is selected, the “most common symptoms” are displayed first, but you can also switch tabs to see “All” symptoms.
• You can also use the category-specific search box to search for all symptoms in that category.
• The search box on the main page includes ALL symptoms in all categories.
5) What if I can’t find my condition or my medication on the “Questions” page?
•If your condition or medication is not displayed in the type-ahead list, we don’t have enough information about it to factor it into the results. If you don’t see it, skip that field.
• All questions are optional, you can always skip directly to results.
6) Are there any other tips for using this symptom checker?
• If you need to go back to a previous page, please use the “back” or “previous” buttons within the tool. Do not use the back button on your browser or phone. You could lose the symptoms you entered.
• Results are ordered by how closely your symptoms match a condition AND how common it is (in the United States). Extremely rare conditions may not surface in this tool. You should always consult a doctor for specific concerns.
• We strongly suggest entering more than 1 symptom. It will likely improve your results.
This tool does not provide medical advice It is intended for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
© 2020 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.