CHLORINE DIOXIDE Overview Information
Chlorine dioxide is a gas used in very small quantities to disinfect water. It is a disinfectant similar to bleach and is unsafe when used in large amounts.
Chlorine dioxide kills bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Very small amounts are used in public water treatment facilities. At high doses, it can damage red blood cells and the lining of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
Some people swish and spit mouthwash solutions containing small amounts of chlorine dioxide for bad breath, tooth plaque, and wound healing, but there is no good scientific evidence to support most of these uses. There is also no good evidence to support using chlorine dioxide for COVID-19.
The US FDA has warned consumers to avoid chlorine dioxide supplement products due to the risk for serious safety issues and death. These products often list another ingredient on the label called sodium chlorite and are marketed under names like Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS), Master Mineral Solution, and Miracle Mineral Supplement.
CHLORINE DIOXIDE Side Effects & Safety
When taken by mouth: Chlorine dioxide is likely unsafe. While chlorine dioxide is safely used to disinfect drinking water, it is used in extremely small amounts. The doses used in supplements can cause serious side effects, including severe vomiting, liver failure, and death. Beware that chlorine dioxide supplements usually show another ingredient on the label (sodium chlorite).
When used as a mouthwash: Chlorine dioxide 0.01% to 0.8% solutions are possibly safe when swished around the mouth for 30-60 seconds and then spit out.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Chlorine dioxide supplements are likely unsafe when taken by mouth during pregnancy or breast-feeding. There isn't enough reliable information to know if chlorine dioxide is safe to apply to the skin or use as a mouthwash. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Children: Chlorine dioxide supplements are likely unsafe for children when taken by mouth. There isn't enough reliable information to know if chlorine dioxide is safe for children to apply to the skin or use as a mouthwash. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
An inherited disorder that causes red blood cells to break down in response to stress (G6PD deficiency): People with this condition who use chlorine dioxide may be at an increased risk for red blood cell rupture. Avoid using.
Long-term kidney disease (chronic kidney disease or CKD): Chlorine dioxide might increase the risk of anemia in people with this condition, even when used in small amounts. But it's not clear if this is a major concern.
CHLORINE DIOXIDE Dosing
Very dilute amounts of chlorine dioxide are used in public water treatment facilities to disinfect water. But the US FDA has warned consumers that chlorine dioxide supplement products are unsafe. These products often list another ingredient on the label called sodium chlorite and are marketed under names like Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS), Master Mineral Solution, and Miracle Mineral Supplement.
As a mouthwash, chlorine dioxide 0.01% to 0.8% has most often been used by adults for up to 10 days. The solution is swished in the mouth for 30-60 seconds and then spit out.